Wednesday, 18 February 2015

TBT: Wedding sewing

Well, no new sewing on the Mandykatt front. I came down with Norovirus on Monday, so spent Tuesday and Wednesday recovering.

So here's a little throw-back Thursday for you.  

Spartacus and I married in January 2008.  I was young, idealistic, and crafty.  I was also supposed to be planning a Greek wedding without any direction on what that meant, but that's a different story. This was a low budget, heavily DIY event.

Two of my bridesmaids were flying to Vancouver from back east for me.  One from Ontario and the other from Quebec.  Two of my bridesmaids were still in school, and the other two were working too hard for too little money.  So, I thought I'd do everyone a small favour and sew their bridesmaid dresses myself.  I had toyed with sewing up my wedding gown from a Vintage Vogue pattern:

Just Dreamy.  How could you not love it?

But then I decided there was too much structure involved for my sewing skills at that time, and it would be best if I bought a bridal gown and made the bridesmaid dresses instead. My ladies were great and really easy going on the whole thing.  Since two were thin and two were larger, I needed a dress that would look good on everyone.  I settled on view C of McCalls 5319:


I thought the rouching at the waist and the halter neckline would be flattering for all.

I bought a crazy amount of taffeta from Dressew.  Four dresses and four wraps worth of fabric, so (2.5 x 4 = 10m + [1.5 x 4 = 6 m]) 16m of burgundy polyester taffeta and another 10 of lining.  And lots of thread as well as 4 zippers.  All in all, it came to about $40 per dress, so not bad.

I spent about 6 months working on the dresses.  I had a shoebox for each person so I could keep everything separated and organised. I'm proud of myself for having everything except the final fit adjustments done a week early.  I did ask one of the Greek ladies to do the hems for me.  I wanted invisible hems and wasn't up for fighting with my invisible hemming foot at that time.  She is a wonderful seamstress who does amazing work and was so proud of me for sewing the four dresses that she was happy to hem for me.  The final fitting was done the night before the wedding.  Oops.

I did end up doing a cheap fix for extra bust coverage on two of the dresses.  I just added a front wedge and called it a day.  Not my proudest sewing moment, but it worked well.




And they were able to wear the dresses again.  Which made it that much better.

The whole year I was planning my wedding, my friend back home was planning her's.  We had worked together at Fabricland in Brampton and kept in touch after I moved out West (She's too awesome of a person to let a little thing like geography get in the way of friendship).  Her name is Tara, and she decided to sew her gown.  Complete with over 100 handmade daisies on the train.  Out of Silk Duppioni.  We phoned each other every week to call the other one crazy.  It's fun to have a friend tackle a major project like this at the same time as you.  Her argument was that I was sewing four dresses, and mine was that she was sewing a silk gown.  Obviously, both are kind of huge things to do when you're also planning a wedding and working full time to pay for said wedding, as well as buying a house and planning a life with someone else.  So we were both kind of crazy, but I think the sewing also kept us sane.

Love ya Tara!
I think it's a good thing I had my wedding a) before I learned to knit, and b) before Pinterest.  I'd need a four year engagement just to plan a wedding now!

No comments:

Post a Comment