Thursday, 2 July 2015

Finished project: Simplicity 1373 shorts

Last shorts for the year!  Simplicity 1373 in a stretch cotton sateen from Fabricland last year.  I bought the pattern after seeing how nice Mimi G did it up.


This fabric?  Love it!  I had bought it with a Sewaholic Robson coat in mind, and then I scored a Liberty of London trench coat for super cheap at a clearance sale, so I no longer had a need to make a coat.  Shorts now and a Belladone dress later I think.  I have 4 or 4.5 metres of the stuff (sigh, I can't actually remember how much I bought) so there is room for a few garments. 

Photo taken after wearing them for a day
These shorts take some shortcuts to make them super quick.  I'm not sure how I feel about the waist construction, but I think after some wear it'll be easier to evaluate.  Instead of a waistband or facing, the top is sewn to twill tape and folded over.  It does finish the top edge nicely, but gah, it feels like cheating.  I've never used that finish before, but it went alright.  It feels strange to wear though, so I don't know if I'll use it again.



I cut a straight size 20 and didn't make any adjustments.  Not even to the length.  They are shorter than I've worn in many years, but I don't think scandalously so.  And they cover my thighs enough to prevent chub rub, so that's really all I need.  Should I have made alterations?  Yes.  I should have cut a size 16 and then did a full abdomen alteration.  That would have made them fit much better.  They're wearable though, and I don't wear shorts too often, so it's all good.




I surprised myself by not having any yellow thread at home.  It was nothing new that I didn't have the right zipper, but thread was unexpected.  I had to make a quick trip to Fabricland to buy all the notions for these shorts!  That's a first for me.
This face says "Spart, seriously, just take the photos.  Stop freaking out that I changed into the shorts in public."




Now that I have my three pairs of shorts, I will be moving onto those dresses.  I can sew the Cambie dress without muslining it as I made it before for my MIL and tried it on then (just need to do a FBA), but I do need to sew a muslin for the Butterick dress because I can't even pick a size until I do.  Tissue fitting didn't help at all.

I do have a client alteration to do, but I need to buy some satin on Wednesday, so nothing will happen until then.





No comments:

Post a Comment