Sunday, 23 August 2015

Finished Project: Cambie Dress

The hardest part of keeping the blog updated for me is taking photos.  I have a light box to take photos of small items, any time of the day or night, so that's improved, but taking finished project photos is a huge problem.  My house faces North / South, so only the south facing bedroom gets natural light.  That bedroom belongs to Aki and is very untidy.  I don't want to take photos there.  Also, I work during those hours which the sunlight streams in his room, so moot point.  I don't have a backyard, but do live in a townhouse complex with lots of green space. Spart doesn't like to take photos for me.  Aki and Itsa are too young to take the photos.  Well, maybe Aki could handle it with the tripod, if he could reach the shutter.  I might have to get a remote for my camera so I can be self-reliant.

Anyway, I have had this particular dress planned for over a year now.  I bought this silk cotton fabric on Spoonflower last July with Sewaholic's Cambie dress in mind.  I love Arctic animals, and think Narwhals are particularity interesting.  Actually, this artist has several designs I'm in love with (seriously, check it out.  I can hear you swiping your credit card already).  Spoonflower doesn't carry the silk cotton anymore, but there is a silk crepe do chine and a cotton lawn that both look luxurious.



I made up the size 16, with no modifications.  Not even for length, which was my mistake.  I was having trouble visualizing where the waistband would hit me so I estimated a spot too low for the hemline.  S'ok, I did a hem facing to conserve as much length as possible and it worked out well.  Meant I was able to put piping on the hem too.  Snazzy!





The lining is a cotton voile from Fabricland, and the piping is from Dressew.  I wandered through the anxiety-inducing trims section with a swatch of fabric looking for the perfect match.  I think I succeeded.




I chose the straight across neckline and view A mostly to maximize my fabric practicality.  Spoonflower has wide bands of white on each side near the selvages so the usable printed fabric is closer to 90cm than 115cm.  

Mistakes?  Surprisingly none.  Except that I let vanity get the better of me and I should have left off the front skirt darts, reduced the front bodice darts, and increased the waistband length.  Should have.  But my plan to "start working on my abs" was much more attractive.  Let's not talk about it.

I finished this in time for my birthday, so wore it today as we went out for a birthday lunch.  The kids were too excited to let Spartacus take nice photos.








I think this is my new favourite garment!  Even more so than my beloved Ginger Jeans.

2 comments:

  1. It's absolutely adorable, in a grown up kind of way. I can't wear my Cambie right now since I put on a lot of weight since I made it. The gym is calling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually a good thing I waited a year to make this as I've gained weight in the last few months and wouldn't be able to wear it in last year's size. I need to get off to the gym too... or maybe I can borrow "Abs of Steel" from the library.

      Delete