Thursday, 1 October 2015

Finished Project: Birthday Party Dress

Here is the dress I made for Itsa for her first day of school.  She is super happy to have a dress that matches her brother (who she loves to pieces even when he's indifferent to her existence).  I used the same fabric as I used for Aki's shirt, bought at Fabricland.



I used the Oliver + S Birthday Party Dress pattern.  I had been eyeing the pattern for a while, and unsure if I should buy it, but then found it on clearance at A Great Notion for $2 and snapped it up!  Nice deal.

This was an easy and quick dress to do up, with the pleats being the only technically challenging part.  

I decided to use snaps on the back instead of buttons as I had run out of thread and didn't want to leave the house for more.  I love design choices born out of laziness.  I'm not so good at using my snap pliers though, so these snaps took a lot more effort than necessary.  But I really feel I have a better technique now.




I serged the seam allowances.


And added a Varelikatt label.  I really like having those little labels.


The hem facing is a nice touch on Oliver + S patterns.  I basted the hem first, then I blind stitched it.  This was the first time I had basted a hem first, and it was so much easier to do a blind stitch.  I can't believe I haven't done that before.


Itsa really enjoys wearing this dress, and I think this may be my go-to little girl dress pattern.

1 comment: