Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Finished Project: Maxi Tartan

As with most crafty people, I love to poke around on Pinterest for ideas and inspirations.  I usually only pin projects that have tutorials or patterns with them, and not finished projects without DIY involved.  Sometimes, however, there is something that is just so beautiful or wonderful that I pin it with the intention of copying the idea.  When I saw this Maxi skirt, I knew I had to have it.
From Aprilpride.com/blog/yards-of-tarts
Isn't that gorgeous?  I love plaid on the bias.  I knew I wanted to make my own, but with Newfoundland tartan.




My mother is from Newfoundland, but I also think the green tartan is lovely.  It's one of my favourites.

I looked at the inspiration photo, and decided what it was that I liked about it.  I loved the bias plaid, the fullness, and the wide waistband.  The easiest solution was a half circle skirt with a 10cm waistband.  The original seems to have side seams and a centre back seam, so I feel confident that I didn't rip anyone off, just took inspiration from it.



I bought Newfoundland tartan at Fabricland, and it was 140cm wide.  I bought 3.5m, but really only needed 2.5 or 3 at the most.  I have lots left over!  Then I used a compass to make a perfect semi-circle for the waist using the formula for the circumference of a circle where C= my waist measurement.  By folding the fabric over, I only needed the radius and to draw a quarter circle.  I then measured my hip to just about the floor, 96cm, and used that measurement and a metre stick to mark a series of radials from the waist.  It's not the most accurate method of getting a larger circle, but it was the easiest for me to do by myself after cutting out the waist.  Pro Tip:  Use the string and pin method to mark your length BEFORE cutting out the waist for the fastest and easiest way to draw a large circle.

Ahem.  Learn from my mistakes!  



In my experience, the easiest way to hem a circle skirt is with a hem facing.  I had hoped to use only materials I had on hand, so when my hem was too long for one package of facing, I just pulled out another, even though the colour was wrong.  I did happen to have a nice green zipper though, so at least I used that.  All those notions were bought in thrift shops.



I finished the waistband with riveted snap closures.  Next time I do this, I will just extend the zipper to the top of the waistband.




I started hemming by hand, but soon gave up and used the blind stitch function on my machine.  That hem is 4 metres long!  That would take me hours to do by hand.

We just brought in some lobster print poplin at Fabricland.  I am tempted to make a lobster shirt to go with this Newfoundland skirt.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Mandy! Love it.
    Going to make a matching one for Itsa???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, T. That would be super cute, but I don't think she'd wear it. She's so picky about clothes right now. I do have some cat print chiffon that I want to make matching outfits from though.

      Delete