Thursday, 28 April 2016

Finished project: Rayon Challis sundress

This was my first model garment project for Fabricland!  I'm so excited about it.  I used McCall's 7116, view D which had a lot of details I really like in a summer dress.  Cross over bodice means easy FBA, bias skirt drapes over my lower body nicely, and the sleeves are adorable.  I used some Rayon Challis that Fabricland received back in February.  I have a low opinion of Rayon overall, based on my experiences with it 15 years ago.  I thought that they might have made some advancements with the fibre since then, so I was willing to give it a try.  My experiences before told me that Rayon pilled easily, stretched and sagged by the end of the day, and felt clammy on the skin.  We'll see how this one holds up, but so far it feels wonderful on the skin, especially in the heat!




Have you ever worked with rayon challis?  Slippery!  I had to chase it all over my cutting table.  I actually had to cut out the skirt front twice as the first time I let the excess fabric droop over the sides of the table and everything was the wrong size by the end.  Lesson learned.  I recut it on the floor and that went much better.




The only adjustment I made to the pattern was a 1/2" Full Bust Adjustment.  I like how this dress hangs and drapes on me.  Next time though, a slight sway back adjustment would be helpful.



No comments:

Post a Comment